- Written by Dave Pughe-Parry Dave Pughe-Parry
- Parent Category: GuruTalk GuruTalk
- Published: 21 January 2015 21 January 2015
Working for yourself means that you can seldom decide on a course of action and do nothing but that one thing. That sounds like I don’t really know what I want to do, or that I haven’t planned my life very well.
In the beginning stages of a business - or in the early part of a new direction - the business itself is vulnerable. This is simply because it is new. Think of a newborn baby.
Invitations to speak at parent’s evenings, and to write for other websites, are just two of the things that didn’t feature in our plans. There is of course, always the imperative to keep the cash flow going.
The invitation to speak is a no-brainer, it is at a school where we have a long and deep affiliation, and I usually leap at every opportunity to speak about my passion. The point is I didn’t factor in that this would happen. It is only a 30 minutes talk, but that takes at least 2 hours to prepare, then there is the travelling time, etc.
There were three invitations to write for other websites, I have refused - politely and apologetically - two of them and will get around to the remaining one this coming weekend.
There are a couple of important points here:
- You can’t be clairvoyant and forecast what will happen. However, I believe I should have foreseen the “possibility” and formulated a couple of responses.
- You can’t and shouldn’t put your head in the sand and ignore unexpected opportunities, one of them might just be a life-changer.
- You should always allow time to consider unexpected opportunities, but in good time. Any decision made under pressure is always a wrong decision, even if it turns out to be right in the end, at the time it was just a guess.
Actually, I’m glad that life is so unpredictable, it would be terribly boring if we know what is going to happen all the time.
If you would like to subscribe to these posts, receive daily updates and gain access to the documents that we post as we go along, please enter your name and e-mail address and click on the subscribe link. Please share it on any of the social media icons below. If you know someone who would benefit from this, please send it to them.